Sunday, October 2, 2011

5. Memento- 5 out of 5 stars

Memento. My second favorite movie I've ever seen. To start the Director Christopher Nolan I believe to be the greatest director ever to live. Every minute of Memento blew me away, and even when you think you know what's going on, you get "Noped" and your mind is blown. Memento is about a man named Leonard Shelby (Guy Pierce) who after an "accident" gets permanent brain damage where he cannot create new memories. In hopes of being able to train himself to remember he carries a camera and takes photos of important people or places and write on the back of them describing them briefly, such as who to trust and who not to, or in the one in the photo above it just says "My car." He also gets "Freaky Tattoos" that describe what happened in the "accident." Now here's where Nolan's ingenuity comes in, the format of the time line is not the traditional one, and I found it best to be explained using a foot long ruler as a representation of it. The first half of the ruler would be black and white, while the second half is color. The movie then plays what would be the 11 inch mark to the 12, so you see then ending first, then the 1 inch to 2, then 10 to 11 and 2 to 3, till it meets at the middle which is technically the end. I've only heard of one other movie make an attempt at a timeline like this and as far as I know it failed.... miserably. I would definitely but Memento in the top 3 movies to watch before you die.

All time favorite movie quote:

Natalie: Tell me about her again.
Leonard: Why?
Natalie: Because you like to remember her.
Leonard: She was beautiful. To me, she was perfect.
Natalie: No, don't just recite words. Close your eyes... and remember her.
*Leonard: (Has short quick flashbacks during) You can just feel the details. The bits and pieces you never bothered to put into words... and... you can fell these extreme moments, even if you don't want to. You put these together, and you get the feel of a person... Enough to know how much you miss them... and how much you hate the person who took them away.

2 comments:

  1. I found this movie confusing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well maybe you should stop going on your laptop and actually watch the movie next time

    ReplyDelete