Wednesday, September 28, 2011

2. The King's Speech- 4 1/2 out of 5 stars

The King's speech was a wonderful movie. The movie is about the second son of King George V (Michael Gambon) who is nicknamed Berty (Collin Firth). He is asked to give a speech from his father but due to his stutter he fails at it, pretty epically to add. Bertie's wife Elizabeth (Helena Bonham Carter) then seeks professional from Lionel (Geoffrey Rush) to help to train her husband in public speaking. Some of the best acting I've seen with my personal favorite of the cast being Geoffrey Rush, I would have liked to see a little more of Helena Bonham Carter tho. The biggest complaint I have is that the movie's climax being his final speech was honestly kind of dissapointing. Nothing really stuck for me in the speech and I felt it really wasn't that inspirational. I don't exactly agree it's deserving of the best picture award, but still it was a very very well made movie.


Favorite Quote:
Lionel: (As berty is lighting a cigarette) Please don't do that.
Berty: I'm sorry?
Lionel: I believe sucking smoke into your lungs will kill you.
Berty: My physicians say it relaxes the throat.
Lionel: They're idiots.
Berty: They've all been knighted.
 Lionel: Makes it official then.

1 comment: